Mondays in Milano

Atiya Byrom

Ah, the dreaded Monday morning. No one looks forward to going back to work or school after a fun, exciting, or even a lazy weekend. I’m definitely not excluded from the set of people that normally snooze their alarm clock 5 times. Still, since coming to Milan, I’ve become sort of a “morning person.” I’ve actually begun looking forward to Monday mornings and the potential of what the week might bring. 

Because I have class at 10:55am on Mondays, waking up around 7 means I have time to get a lot of things done before I head off to school. If I’m feeling extra energetic, I’ll go take a 2-mile run through this park, right next to where I live, to start the day. Then, I’ll come back and make breakfast…but Mondays are the days that I go grocery shopping, so on these particular mornings, I’m running low on food. 

So I’ll go ahead and get dressed for class, stopping for a “latte macchiato o spremuta d’arancia e un cornetto” at a local cafe on the way. 

My class ends around 12:30pm, and I have an hour before I have to be at my internship. I usually pack a lunch, but as I said, Mondays are “the fridge is empty” days. So, I’ll stop at a local place near the school and grab a quick bite of pizza or a panini sandwich. Finally, I’m headed on the metro to work.

The commute on the metro is around 30 minutes, which gives me time to catch up on some reading or listen to any new music out I might’ve missed out on. 

One of my favorite things about my internship is that I’m constantly busy. My supervisors always make sure that I have a project to work on, which makes me feel like I’m contributing to their success and am a vital asset to the company. 

I’m at my internship until 5:30pm but have to travel back to school for one final class at 6:45pm. The free time in between is the opportunity I use to shop at this massive supermarket near the school. I stock up on everything I need for the week and carry my groceries to class with me. 

After that last class, I head back home and make a quick dinner of grilled cheese or pasta (most times, both). Then, I’ll either do laundry, catch up on some homework, chat with my roomies, or pass out into my bed, feeling accomplished after a long, productive Monday in Milano.