New Year, New Country

Ariana Lisefski

As I sit drinking an afternoon cup of tea at home in Fairfield, Iowa, I’m dwelling on the fact that in a week’s time I could very well be having a similar afternoon tea halfway across the world in London. I’m dwelling on the start of the New Year, a year I will spend largely away from home in a country I’ve never visited. I’m dwelling on resolutions: to seize newness and difference, to step out of my comfortable bubble, to just go.

Studying abroad has always been a “probably” for me, so it’s staggering to feel like it’s now a “definitely.” With all the paperwork, preparations, and less-than-exciting details of making this trip a reality, it has felt like the trip itself is months away. No amount of checklist-making and careful packing will really prepare me for what it’s like living abroad for four months, and honestly it makes me anxious to look at my calendar and find I board the plane in just a few days. I’ve never traveled out of the country alone, and I’ve been having dreams for weeks now about getting lost on the Tube! But I like change—I need it—and I know I’ll settle in easily once there.

Born and raised a Midwest girl, growing up in Iowa and attending college in Illinois, I’ve always had an itch to travel. As a younger girl, I was a total Anglophile, buried in Shakespeare and Jane Austen and perfecting my tea and English scone recipe from an early age. So it’s really no wonder I chose London. I’ve been to Asia and Australia, but I’m overdue for a trip to Europe. However, leading up to my departure, I find I’m growing more and more thankful for home: for closeness, being so near to places that make me feel nurtured, and for being blessed with people who make me never want to leave.

So, I head off for London with a challenge to myself, a New Years resolution: to go out and not look back. To live always in the present moment. My hope for this blog is to share that process with those I love, as well as provide helpful information for those who wish to do the same. I invite you to keep up with this blog, ask questions, send thoughts, be my tie to home. You and I will both see if I can’t make London a home, too.

Cheers!

Ariana