Street Food Thursdays

Adriana D'Agostino

Thursdays are my favorite day of the week. Why? Because it’s Food Market Thursday of course! A girl in my program introduced us all to this amazing indoor market in Kreuzberg and now my friends and I make a (semi) regular appearance. Dozens of vendors line the inside of an old warehouse, serving anything from asian noodles and vegan burgers to traditional Bavarian dishes and gelato. The place is always packed with people, a mix of Berliners and tourists from all over the world. The diversity of food and people makes for a great atmosphere.

Within the last month, Berlin has experienced about 4 different transportation strikes that have affected the Sbahn and all regional trains. This week in particular was difficult because the strike has overlapped with a repair on the Ubahn line that is closest to my apartment. As a result, we biked to Kreuzberg to attend the food market on Thursday. The strike, while inconvenient, challenged us to learn more about Berlin. Biking halfway across the city gave us perspective on the size of the city, making Berlin seem not as overwhelming. I felt like a real Berliner biking around the city! The more I get to know the city, the harder I know it will be to say goodbye. Berlin continues to surprise me and is always presenting me with new opportunities.