William E. & Mary M. Dwyer Need-Based Spanish Scholarship
- Fall/Academic Year Deadline: May 1
- Spring/Calendar Year Deadline: November 1
This scholarship was established by the IES Abroad Board of Directors to honor the memory of William E. Dwyer, Jr., the father of the former IES Abroad president, Dr. Mary Dwyer. Trained in transportation law, Mr. Dwyer was a senior corporate executive overseeing transportation functions world-wide for a multi-national steel manufacturing company. He was an innovator in the transportation field and a pioneer in support of the equal employment of African Americans and women in the management ranks of the steel industry. He was known throughout the industry for his ethical business practices during a period in the steel industry history when this was less common. Having benefited from full scholarship support as an undergraduate at Rockhurst College and during law school, he remained dedicated to the value and accessibility of higher education for those students who otherwise would not have the opportunity to pursue a college education. He minored in Spanish as an undergraduate and continued to use the language in his work throughout his career. He recognized the value of language learning. His greatest priority, however, was the welfare of his family. He put family first.
Likewise, Mrs. Mary M. Dwyer put family first while at the same time being deeply involved as a volunteer in her community and church. She attended the University of Missouri and was a staunch advocate of the importance of higher education in furthering individuals’ development and success.
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must:
- Enroll in a semester or full year IES Abroad program in Argentina, Chile, Ecuador, or Spain.
- Attend a member or associate member school of the IES Abroad Consortium. In addition, your school must transfer at least 75% of institutional aid for study abroad.
- Have an expected family contribution (EFC) of $30,000 or less.