It's been a while since we were able to gather in person for an Annual Conference, which made this year's gathering all the more invigorating and impactful. For the first time in three years, study abroad professionals from around the world came to Chicago for the 2022 IES Abroad Annual Conference on October 12-14th. It was a conference of many firsts:
- First conference for our President & CEO Dr. Gregory Hess
- First time we held the Annual Conference at the University Club of Chicago
- First time we held the Study Abroad Film Festival as the opening reception and kick-off event
- First time we had a conference app (🍃 we went as paperless as possible in honor of our Global Good Commitment)
- First time we bought carbon offsets for the whole event
- First time we had session tracks which included Programs; Looking at Our Populations; Practices & Processes; and Professional Development
- First time we held our Awards Dinner at the Museum of Science & Industry
Over the course of three days, attendees sparked new ideas, participated in expert-led sessions, and celebrated the accomplishments of outstanding study abroad students and professionals.
We also took time to thank Kline Harrison for his tremendous work as Conference Chair since 2019, and to announce Mark Rush, Director of International Education and Stanley D. and Nikki Waxberg Professor of Politics and Law, Washington & Lee University, as the newly elected Chair of the General Council.