Student Affairs Appreciation Post

Victoria Ernst headshot
Victoria Ernst

You’re having a great time in Barcelona. You’re in the honeymoon phase: you’re exploring a new place, making new friends, trying new firsts, taking cool classes until, life hits you in the face. 

You get sick. You’re freaking out: how do I go to a doctor? What do I do? Student affairs has your back.

Since coming to Barcelona, I have been sick a few times. Each time, the student affairs team has helped me get care. All I had to do was call them. I told them my symptoms and my schedule, and they said they would email me with appointment details. Within thirty minutes, I received an email outlining everything I needed to know. 

What’s more, they check in on you. After my appointments, student affairs always emailed me back to ensure everything went smoothly. The staff truly cares about your health and well-being. They only send students to places where they know they will be taken good care of.

Another challenge I have faced in Barcelona is the language barrier. I came to Barcelona without knowing any Spanish. Now I can describe my office and order my coffee in Spanish, but that won’t get you too far when it comes to real life. 

This is quite a niche example, but I needed help translating a website from Catalan into English. I am applying for a residence permit in Austria for my internship this summer, and needed to get my fingerprints taken at the National Police Station of Catalunya. The IES Abroad staff member offered to send a student affairs member to accompany me in the process and overcome the language barrier.

I can’t even explain begin my gratitude for their help. I would not have been able to make or attend that appointment without the help of student affairs. 

The staff member also helped me mail my documents to the United States at a nearby post office. She made sure that everything went as smoothly as possible for me. I owe it all to her and the student affairs team!

From offering excursions, cultural experiences and wellness resources, IES Abroad has the interests of its students at heart. You have nothing to fear throughout your trip, and you are not alone. No matter what happens, they’ll help you through it!