7 Day Weekend: Hangzhou and Huangshan

Sarah Duncan

A few weeks ago we got to experience National Week here in China, and the whole country had a week-long holiday to celebrate! Traffic was absolutely horrible, but we braved the crowds to check out Hangzhou and Huangshan.  Hangzhou is a decently large city with a very pretty lake, and Huangshan is a famous mountain that is a popular, modern-day pilgrimage destination of sorts.  We had a great time exploring and hiking! Here are some of the sights:

duplicate So much green! I honestly could've sat by this lake all day. The landscape was gorgeous. The crowds were a bit crazy, and they seemed to be very interested in foreigners. Ting had some fun on this trip! We found some cool statues on our way to dinner, so obviously this photo was necessary. The sunset as we walked to our restaurant Making your way around China via bus is surprisingly convenient. This was our first sight once in the national park. Students looking for the trail to actually begin the hike. If you look closely, you can see giant characters inscribed on the mountain. Also notice the line of people walking up the side. Rafa and I take a break from climbing the stairs. This was the crowd you had to wait in to reach the peak. The view from the top. A little boy gets a ride down the mountain on his dad's shoulders, as well as a beautiful view. Back to the bottom after a great day on the mountain!