The Best Day Trips From Seoul!

Sarah Davidson headshot
Sarah Davidson
  1. Suwon

Suwon is a city in the Gyeonggi province (the same province as Seoul). Suwon is known for its historical sites, especially the Hwaseong Fortress, a UNESCO World Heritage site. The fortress was built by King Jeongno, as he planned to move the capital city to Suwon. The fortress includes several large gates. In Suwon, we visited the Wolhwawon Chinese Garden, the fortress wall, and the surrounding village next to the wall.

1. Nami Island (Namiseom)

Nami Island is a small wooded island one-and-a-half hours from Seoul. We got to the Name Island Wharf by bus and subway, and then did one of the adventure experiences to get to the island: zip-lining and boating. On the island, we rented bikes and rode around the island for a couple hours, admiring the fall scenery.

1. Lotte World

Lotte World is an amusement park that’s actually located in Seoul, but definitely is a whole-day activity. Many young people who visit Lotte World will actually rent school uniforms and dress up to re-create their childhood. At Lotte World, you can find all kinds of rides—from tea-cups to rollercoasters—as well as many food options, shopping, and parades.

1. Eunpyeong Hanok Village & Jingwansa Temple

Eunpyeong is actually in Seoul, so it’s not necessarily a day trip, but I’d definitely say it feels like it’s outside of the city. It’s a very quiet and non-touristy area, but there are still a few cafes and restaurants. It has some of the most beautiful views of Bukhansan, in my opinion. I’d suggest just walking around and enjoying the scenery. After, you can visit Jingwansa temple, one of the oldest and most well-known Buddhist temples in Seoul.

1. Wolmido Island

Wolmido is technically not an island, but is now an area connected to Incheon. It has two amusement parks, a central street, a pier, museum, and observatory. It’s most famous for the Disco Pang Pang ride that went viral on YouTube and Tik Tok. Basically, you get spun around in this giant circle, but you’re sitting on a bench without any seatbelts—you just hold on to the rail. A lot of people often fall off into the middle or fall onto the people next to them, which is why the ride is known for creating romances. Obviously, there’s a reason these rides are banned in America….still, it’s really, really fun. My friends and I went on it 3 times!