All Kinds of Wheels on the Ground

Samantha Loria

First day in London!

The plane landed on the ground in London and that was a big deal for me. So after that pretty much everything has been very manageable. I walked around the airport for approximately two hours communicating over patchy wifi with a lovely girl on my program and trying to find each other so that we could split a taxi fare to our rooms. We pulled it off though and we were definitely glad that we did because it ended up being more than 100 pounds. Random tip: hire a reliable private cab to pick you up at the airport in advance. Negotiating the Tube with four months worth of luggage sounds horrible to me, especially in a strange city after a long plane ride. The London Black Cabs are waiting at the airport (which is what we got) but they charge by the time that it takes so if you get caught in traffic, you will end up paying $170 to travel two miles.

First reactions:
People on my program are super cool
IES Abroad students leaders waiting for us were really nice
I do not understand the Tube or the never-ending, never-stopping traffic that is flying around me
I’ve almost been awake for 48 hours but I still went to a local pub to hang out with the other people from my program
Pubs close really early (11pm) and can actually be very wholesome places to gather and talk