New Zealand is: NEW

Renato Dornelas

For some people, the “new” is something exciting, thrilling, interesting, and even rich. For me, the “new” is just a box. Yes, a box. A box that is closed, yet not sealed. It is right in front of me, waiting to be opened. I wonder and imagine what it has inside. This box doesn’t have a color or a shape. It isn’t big or small. It is just… a box.

So my name is Renato Dornelas, and I am originally from Belo Horizonte, Brazil. I am 23 years old, and I study Media & Film at Skidmore College, in New York. I am extremely excited to hike around New Zealand, meet different people, and eat different food. I am taking with me a travelers' guide book and I consider that to be my new bible! I can't wait to just go around the islands, and the neighborhoods, and to every other adventure set in front of me.

As I prepare for New Zealand, I constantly caught myself thinking what I can fit into that box, or if I will get something from it. Going to a new country, in a whole new continent; a place where I don’t really know someone I am close to, is definitely something new. I have all kinds of emotions right now, but I can’t really put those into words. That’s why New Zealand, right now, is a box, and I honestly can’t wait to open it, to dive into it, and to get all kinds of beautiful, exciting, scary, and crazy things out of it. Here’s to an adventure!