A Taste of the U.S. in Buenos Aires

Rachel Zalkind

IES Abroad organized quite the field trip a few Fridays ago. We were treated not only to an informational session about the foreign service, but also to a tour of the Ambassador’s residence. And lucky for us, the ambassador’s residence here in Buenos Aires is a historical mansion built in the neoclassical style. First came the informational session, where I realized how comforting it is to know our country has our back. It was fun learning about what the Embassy does (and programs they run) as well as what it’s like working for the foreign service. We were intrigued by the lifestyle: putting your life in the hands of the government for two year tours across the globe! And I personally took interest in the educational outreach programs that help teach Argentine students study in the U.S.

Next came the tour of the residence. The mansion was beautiful. It’s maintained to the highest standards since its considered an architecturally significant residence. I’m always in awe of historical mansions with their extravagant decor and entertaining pasts.

Not to mention, the little things made me smile:

• Seeing books about baseball, the Rocky Mountains, and California’s greatest
  • Hearing English with a Southern drawl
  • Hearing about about a Route 66 themed Fourth of July party
  • Seeing a chair that Will Smith (of all celebrities) once sat in
  • Learning about opportunities to get involved further with the Embassy

The visit to the Ambassador’s residence gave me a sense of U.S. patriotism I’ve been separated from for the past couple months. It was a fun activity and I’m thankful we were allowed to go to the residence of the Ambassador, as opposed to simply the embassy (that looks like a prison).