Milan

Matt Machin

• Just a relatively short train ride away to Northern Italy sits a hub for cuisine, history, and the arts. Milan has much to offer for visitors who want a taste of the Italian culture. El Duomo is unarguably the most popular destination located in the heart of the city.

• Built in the 15th century, Castello Sforzesco still stands strong not too far from El Duomo. During its construction, Leonardo da Vinci was appointed by the Milan lord to decorate many of the rooms in the castle. 

• Milan does not necessarily have the tallest of skylines. However, it does possess a cluster of high rise buildings that mostly consist of financial offices and hotels. The city tends to be more spread out and has a similar population density as Los Angeles.

• The Cimitero Monumentale is one of the two largest cemeteries in Milan and is known for its artistic tombs. It consists of a grand, monumental Neo-Medieval style building with a large grass cemetery behind it. One notable person who rests here is the 19th century composer, Giuseppe Verdi.

• The UniCredit Tower is one of the most recognizable structures in Milan. It stands 33 stories high and is a beautiful display of modern architecture. If you include its spire at the top, the tower is the tallest building in Italy.