Eyes Wide Open

Lexi Floom

One of my favorite quotes was written by John Lennon: "Living is easy with eyes closed misunderstanding all you see." Why live a life that feels like a chore? Why spend every day coasting by not interacting with the world around you?

Europe is a continent full of history, and London is a city of wonder. Every day I find myself stumbling upon a new coffee shop, a new piece of art, a new side street that I didn't notice the day before. I have been keeping my eyes wide open, a task that had posed a challenge for me at home where it's natural to fall into a routine and end up somewhere without knowing how you got there. During my time abroad, I don't want to miss a single beat, a single moment, a single story. I will keep my eyes clear and my lens wide.

In the last week, I have seen more than I ever knew was possible. My camera is overflowing with footage and my brain with memories. I have truly met my match with five girls who share the same way of looking at the world as I do. Never did I think I would find a home here in London and an adopted family to explore the world with. It's hard to imagine this experience without them, and crazy to think if I wasn't paying attention I might have missed out on some extraordinary people. This makes me excited about what is still to come and the people I have still to meet.

Every picture is said to be worth a thousand words, but this week every memory has proven to be worth a thousand stories. I will never stop being amazed with London and its neighboring cities on this continent. I will never stop being grateful for the friends I have made. Here's to an amazing week of laughter, adventure, and too many waffles, and here's to what's next to come.

Creatively Yours,

-Lex <3

Lexi Floom

<p>Lexi Floom is a student at Indiana University majoring in Informatics with minors in Technology Consulting, Marketing, and Game Design. Last summer, Lexi interned abroad in Israel and strengthened her love for all things creative and adventurous. She can't wait to travel across London and Europe this semester and discover the hidden gems each country has to offer.</p>

Vernon Hills, IL