On My Way, UK

Laura Gerson
default blog image with travel icons on a blue background

Hi there! My name is Laura, and I'm excited to take you along with me on my adventure abroad! A little bit about me: I'm a rising junior at American University in Washington, DC, and I'm studying public health. I'm participating in the Health Practice and Policy Program in London and Kingston, Jamaica this fall. London is one of my favorite places in the world, so I'm thrilled I'll be living there! This blog can serve as your virtual ticket to join me on my journey. I'm serving as an IDEA Correspondent, so you'll also get to see how being LGBTQ+ impacts my abroad experience!

As of this morning, I have 11 days before I get on my flight to the UK. After weeks of visa applications, biometrics, flight planning, vaccinations and other logistics, I feel as though I'm finally in the fun part of getting ready! Right now, my biggest concerns are how many flannel shirts is an appropriate number to bring, making a 7-hour playlist for my flight, and saying farewell to my friends and family (and cats). To be honest, the experience is surreal. It hasn't quite hit me that I'm really going to London, despite all of the planning I've done. I'm excited that my next post will be from the beautiful UK.

Thank you for joining me on my adventure. Together, we're going to have an amazing semester! 

Laura Gerson

<p>Hi there! My name is Laura and I'm a rising Junior at American University, studying Public Health! I'm thrilled to be going to London. This summer, I am working at the American Red Cross working on Lifesaving Recognition Awards. In my free time, I love to watch Netflix (currently watching the People Vs. OJ Simpson), calligraphy, volunteering, and doing crossword puzzles!</p>

American University
Stamford, CT
Public Health