Raz, Kai & Zel take Rio!

Kiah Zellner-Smith

As we blew past the halfway mark of our semester here in Brazil, and as our host mom continually told us to get out and about in the city we figured it was finally time to see what else Rio had to offer besides beautiful beaches, gorgeous people and a never-ending nightlife. The rest of the students on our program were in Sao Paulo for 5 days so it was just me and my roommates on our weekend exploration.

We went to art galleries (favella artwork by Sergio Cezar), cultural exhibits (such as Caixa Cultural), museums (Oi Futuro), spent daytime and nighttime in a lively neighborhood called Lapa (which we adore), and celebrated Raza’s belated birthday with our host mother. This was a really good weekend for us and we always enjoy our time together, no matter how off-schedule or off the beaten path we get. From now on I think we’ll continue to take advantage of the many events that are constantly available in Rio and gain a deeper understanding of the city besides what’s shown on postcards.

IMG_1905 IMG_1911 IMG_1914 IMG_1915 IMG_1918 IMG_1919 IMG_1652 IMG_1654 IMG_1972 IMG_1973 IMG_1984 IMG_1992 IMG_1705 IMG_2045