Your Inside Guide to IES Abroad Granada Classes

Headshot of Jaden Ferraro.
Jaden Ferraro
Students studying on the IES Granada rooftop terrace.

During a leisurely late afternoon walk through los Jardines del Alcázar de los Reyes Cristianos, a beautiful garden we visited on a recent field trip to Córdoba, I asked a group of friends what they wished they had known before coming to Granada. All four of them said they would have liked more information on classes. So, with that in mind, and now that classes have been in session for well over a month, I’ve decided to interview a gaggle of IES Abroad Granada students to get some insight into the many classes you can take at IES Abroad Granada. I asked each of them to tell me their favorite class, what they like about it, and what people should keep in mind while considering the class. Without further ado, here’s 7 IES Abroad students and their favorite classes:

Louise: Acuarela (Watercolor)

What’s this class all about? 

“Improving your drawing and painting skills in a chill environment with your friends.”

What’s your favorite part of the class?

“I like when we go on field trips, like we went to a museum nearby and sat in the plaza one day. It’s a fun break from my usual classes.”

What’s one thing people should know about the class?

“It’s very accessible even if you feel like you don’t have any artistic skill. It’s a very supportive environment.”

Hannah: Flamenco 

What’s this class all about? 

“Learning how to dance flamenco but also the history of it and its relevance to Andalucía.”

What’s your favorite part of the class?

“The practical part of class where we actually dance. It’s a nice brain break from the classroom but also our teacher is the sweetest person.”

“You don’t need any dance experience to do it.”

Annabelle: Theatre

What’s this class all about? 

“We talk about Spanish theater and we get to go on field trips and watch plays.”

What’s your favorite part of the class? 

“The field trips. We’ve seen three plays so far and none of them have been similar to one another. I also like how in the class each student had to direct one scene and they’re very fun.”

“Set aside time for the field trips, so make sure not to take trips on those days. You don’t want to miss the plays!”

Colby: Spain and the European Union

What’s this class all about? 

“Learning about the history and evolution of how the EU was formed and how it has evolved.”

What’s your favorite part of the class? 

“I think that it’s a very small class and I’m really able to take in all the information. The professor does a really good job at pacing the class.”

“That there is an Econ class within IES Abroad and it’s a good chance to learn about an economic system different from ours.”

Natalia: Cross cultural psychology 

What’s this class all about?

“Basically psychological differences between and within cultures. So far we’ve talked about concepts like individualism and collectivism, identity, language, communication, and personality, and how these social norms and values change within each culture.”

What’s your favorite part of the class?

“The professor is so engaging and makes everything so interesting! He comes to class with interactive activities and relates all the concepts we learn about to our own lives, comparing US culture with Spanish and other cultures.”

“As a psych person, I love this topic - it’s directly applicable to our own experiences coming here to Granada and has helped me better understand cultural differences and challenges we’ve faced here.”

Will - Democracy, Populism and Public Opinion in the European Union

What’s this class all about?

“The EU.”

What’s your favorite part of the class?

“Learning about each country's public perception of the EU.”

“You’ll learn a lot of specific geographical statistics and political differences between the EU members.”

Cora: Internship 

What’s this class all about? 

“In the internship class you get to be placed with a local business or organization that's usually related to one of your academic interests. You get to go twice a week for 4-5 hours each time and you get to get the feel of what it’s like to work in Spain.”

What’s your favorite part of the class?

That I’m getting a feel for a job that I may be interested in doing while at the same time getting to speak in Spanish. I'm learning cameras and editing software!”

“I think it’s been a surprisingly good way to improve Spanish because I have natural immersion for 4 hours!”

These are just a few of the many classes that IES Abroad Granada offers, but hopefully it gives you a better sense of what kind of academic experience to expect when you arrive. In addition to the IES Abroad classes and internships, you will also have the opportunity to take University of Granada classes which, if you are up for the challenge, I highly recommend. My Social Structure of Spain class at the Facultad de Sociología (School of Sociology) is a blast! The professor is so fun and the class is always cracking up. I may only understand 20% of what is said and usually have no clue what’s so funny, but it’s a great time nonetheless. When I’m not getting my sociology on with two classes at the local university, I’m going on lots of field trips for my IES Abroad art and culture classes. Meanwhile, others are studying ecosystems, literature, working at schools, or painting. Overall, the academic experience is what you make of it, and the beauty of it is that with so many different options, no two experiences will be the same.