A Candid Representation of Studying Abroad in Madrid

Ian Zunt
Final Mirror Selfie

This album is very special to me because it is a compilation of photos throughout our entire semester in Madrid. Whenever I can, I like to carry around a separate little point-and-shoot Olympus film camera, taking it out to bars and restaurants or anywhere I might need a flash.

Film photography is really bizarre- taking a photo as I would with any camera but then not being given the opportunity to dwell upon what was captured. It's liberating, but also difficult having to wait months to look back on special occasions. This waiting also makes each album very special,  forcing us to forget about these moments only to be delighted again after the film is developed.

These photos are essentially a compilation of moments in which I picked up my camera, took a photo, and put it back down, only to be revisted now after the program has ended. I feel very thankful for the opportunity to work as a blogger for IES Abroad this semester, as each of these posts somehow feels like another journal entry, functioning to capture and record my experiences and all of the amazing people I hope to see again someday. From my first experience with tapas to a surprise sparkler at Habiba's 21st birthday party two days before our program ended, this album represents a more candid and momentary portrayal of my three months abroad.