Saying Goodbye to the States

Ian Johnson

It’s a bit surreal to acknowledge the fact that when I wake up next Tuesday morning, I will be beginning a brand new chapter in my life. Only 18 hours of air travel will then remain between departure and my new life as a foreign exchange student. I have been anticipating this day for a while, and as I pack this morning, the reality of it all is becoming more and more real.

Yet it would be a bit untruthful to say that some of my excitement does not also stem from anxiety. There are still many questions I wish to have answered, but instead I must wait to address them once I arrive in Barcelona. What will my homestay family be like? What type of meals will they cook? These types of everyday questions revolve around my anticipation of an entirely new lifestyle. I look forward to answering these questions in my next post!

I am also very interested in learning more about the city of Barcelona itself. How friendly will the locals be? How will I get to my classes in the morning? My list of questions goes on forever. Moreover, I have many tentative travel plans for my time abroad. I am determined to visit Paris, France; Venice, Italy; and Amsterdam (to name just a few). During my travels, I plan to record many of my experiences through my blog posts, and I look forward to sharing these posts with all IES readers, friends, and family members back home. Make sure to follow my posts as I begin (and continue) my journey abroad…. ¡Hasta la próxima!