Enough About the People; What About the Places?

Ian Johnson

Many of my most recent posts have centered on the incredible people I’ve met here in Barcelona. Forming new relationships with the local people is an amazing experience — one I have continued to cultivate. However, today I want to share a little more about the city itself. I have been living in Barcelona for just over two months, and I’ve had the opportunity to explore some really cool places. To narrow it down, let’s go with a scenario: You are traveling through Barcelona for just one single day during a summer vacation and you want to have the best experience possible. Where do you go?

Well, if it’s the summer, your options are essentially limitless. But here’s what I’d suggest. Start off your day by hiking the incredible mountain of Tibidabo, which offers a breathtaking view of the entire city.  At the top of Tibidabo, there is a small amusement park and beautiful church, Sagrat Cor. The hike itself is just under an hour and a half, and is very accessible and easy to navigate.

From there, you could head down the mountain back to the Tibidabo train station, which connects you directly to the metro. The Barcelona metro is the best way to travel around the city: it’s cheap, accessible, clean, and fast. Once on the metro, shoot on over to the beautiful fisherman’s village of Barceloneta and enjoy a mojito on the beautiful beach. At this point you’ve probably worked up an appetite, and if you like seafood, you’re in luck. Barceloneta boasts the best seafood paella in Barcelona, and your options in this neighborhood are endless.

Enjoy your day on the beach, soak in the sun, and relax. Close by to the beach are a wide array of popular tourist attractions, such as the Maritime Museum, Chocolate Factory, and many others. But I suggest making your way over to Las Ramblas, the most popular street in Barcelona. Lined with restaurants, bars, and shopping stores, Las Ramblas is a very famous tourist destination. You can walk Las Ramblas all the way up to Placa Catalunya, one of the main plazas in the Eixample area of Barcelona.

If you are not catching a flight until the next morning, I recommend partaking in the Barcelona nightlife. However, if your flight is very early, caution is advised: Barcelonans stay out very, very late. If you are dedicated to experiencing an authentic night out, perhaps the best plan of attack is to not even bother going to bed. Just remember to make it back to your hotel to grab your luggage!