Off I Go!

Holly Callahan

Hello! My name is Holly and I am from San Diego, CA and go to school at Seattle University. 

I love the beaches in San Diego (this was taken in the winter)! I look forward to the beaches of the Galapagos! 

I have wanted to be a marine biologist for a while now. The photo above is me in 5th grade dressed up as Jacques Cousteau for an important people in history day.

I am hoping that my time abroad will expand my knowledge of marine research, and my comfort zone. I am nervous that I can’t really speak Spanish anymore (5 years later I no longer remember much from high school), but I am excited to regain that skill.

My flight to Quito leaves late tonight, and this will not be my first trip to Quito or the Galapagos. In 2011 I went with my high school for a week and a half. It was a wonderful experience and was a driving force behind my desire to return for an extended period of time.

Sea Turle

On that trip we were able to see hammer-head sharks and most of endemic Galapagos Island animals. This time around, I hoping to see a whale shark and to look more closely at the marine invertebrates on the Islands.

I am so grateful to be able to go abroad and I am looking forward to sharing my experiences with you all!

A few things that I am packing:

dogs_Callahan

Abby and Ellie: the best old ladies around! (Just kidding, they don't get to come!)

I am bringing solid shampoo and conditioner...

and LOTS of sunscreen!