Snail Mail (Love, Mum)

Helena Archer

It’s pretty common and pretty easy to get homesick while studying abroad, especially when you’re gone for a semester or even an entire year. As I actually go to school in my hometown, this semester is by far the longest amount of time I’ve spent away from my parents. As a lot of people know, it can be pretty hard to keep in touch. Even though I’m still very close to my friends from high school, I still have only managed to Skype with them a few times throughout each semester.

Luckily, my mum is much better at this than I am. When she was in college, her mother always used to write her letters, and she and her sisters, especially her twin, write letters to each other as well. She also writes and addresses all of our Christmas cards each year. Stationery is a pretty common gift for her, and the tradition is that if you give her cards, she’ll write them to you when you go away. My lovely mother has sent me a letter every week I’ve been here, telling me about things going on at home. The last one came last week, since she didn’t want me not to get them, and while I’m excited that I get to see her soon I will miss the weekly pick-me-up.