Chocolate Store

Harry Pogorzelski-Ponichtera headshot
Harry Pogorzelski-Ponichtera

There's a chocolate shop near where I live, called Chocolat DJ. I first found out about this place from a classmate of mine who is from Seoul. They said it was an awesome place with amazing drinks and very tasty chocolate! A few days later, my classmate—and now good friend—and I went to Chocolat DJ. It's a small shop, and If I hadn't heard about it from a friend, I would have skipped past it entirely. We went inside, and it was very quaint. They have their own home made chocolate, and very nice liquor, my two favorite things! I tasted the chocolate, and it was delicious, unlike anything I've had in the United States. It was very rich, like fudge, and much less sugary than the chocolate I've had before. 

I really liked it. The atmosphere of the shop was also great. They were playing some relaxing jazz music, and my friend and I stayed there for over an hour just talking about our different life experiences, eating delicious chocolate, and drinking scotch. The lady who ran the shop was very friendly, and she talked with us while we were there. She was very kind, and even gave us a small piece of a new chocolate that they were going to add to the menu. She asked us what we thought of it. Honestly, I didn't like it as much as the one we had, but it was still pretty good. I enjoyed my time there so much that I was a bit disappointed when it was time to leave. 

But I ended up going back about once a week, usually with my friend. It's a great place to chill and relax, especially if you've been studying a lot or are stressed. I would definitely recommend going there if you find yourself nearby. 

One time, I went there on my own after a particularly tough exam, and I was eating the delicious chocolate when I looked over and I noticed a customer sitting nearby looking at sheet music very intently. I went over and asked him about it, as I'm a music composition major and I thought it was very interesting. He was a bit reserved at first, but it turned out he was a conductor of an orchestra in Seoul. We chatted briefly about the piece he was preparing to play. The conductor shared anecdotes from his experiences leading the orchestra and offered valuable advice about pursuing a career in music composition. We delved into discussions about our favorite composers, the intricacies of various musical genres, and the challenges of balancing artistic expression with the demands of a professional musical career. I am truly grateful to have had this experience, and to my friend who showed me this hidden gem in Seoul. 

To fellow study abroad students in Seoul, my advice is to explore beyond the obvious attractions and embrace the hidden gems like Chocolat DJ. These places not only offer a taste of local flavors but also become settings for serendipitous encounters and memorable experiences that can profoundly shape your time abroad. Whether it's a cozy chocolate shop or another hidden spot, be open to new connections and unexpected opportunities—they may just turn your study abroad experience into something truly extraordinary.