Passport to Paris

Hallie Bates

First of all, shoutout to the Olsen twins for the inspiration on the title of this post (great movie, by the way). Anyways, a few weekends ago, I flew to Paris to visit a good friend of mine from Bowdoin and explore the city. I’d always wanted to see the city, and arrived ready to go with a list of favorite museums, parks, and landmarks in my pocket. On the list, I included Sacré-Coeur, the love lock bridge, the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Musée d’Orsay, Arc de Triomphe, Jardin du Luxembourg, Musée de l’Orangerie, and Sainte-Chapelle. It was an ambitious list, but despite three straight days of rain, we managed to see it all, even fitting in time for a little gem of a farmer’s market stand called Chez Alain Miam Miam and Lenny Kravitz’s favorite kebab. Although the whole trip was incredible, I had several highlights that made the weekend especially memorable. I’ve included some pictures below!

Sainte-Chapelle is a royal medieval Gothic chapel in Paris that has one of the largest collections of stained glass in the world.

The Love Lock Bridge!

The entrance to the Louvre in the rain.

From inside the glass pyramid!

The Luxembourg Gardens! So pretty with a storm approaching…

New favorite statue in the Luxembourg Gardens.

Eiffel Tower!

The Musée d’Orsay! It used to be a railway station, but was later converted into a museum in 1900. I got to see my favorite painting, Vincent van Gogh’s Starry Night Over the Rhone in person here too, which was amazing.

Rainy street on our way to the Eiffel Tower.

Lenny Kravitz’s favorite falafel… because why not?

Chez Alain Miam Miam; waited in line for 45 minutes, but it was completely worth it. He works alone every day for 12 hours, rarely takes breaks, and always has at least 20 people in line waiting to try his famous crepes and sandwiches.

Incredible view from Sacré Coeur after the rain had cleared up.

Last night in Paris was spent admiring the Eiffel Tower from the Peace Monument. Wasn’t a bad way to end the weekend.

It was an amazing weekend, but it feels good to be back in Granada for the last few weeks of the semester… More updates to come!

-Hallie