Hiking in La Alpujarra

Haley Stewart

Last weekend we went hiking in the mountainous part of La Alpujarra, a region of Andalucía that’s about an hour and a half bus-ride away from Granada.  La Alpujarra couldn’t be situated at a more stunning spot.  Located between the Sierra Nevada and the Mediterranean, containing five different types of ecosystems in less than 40 km, it has both the rugged, sublime beauty of the mountains along with the gentler beauty of the sea.

We started in the town of Capileira, a small white-washed town on the banked slopes leading up to the Sierra Nevada, and hiked several kilometers down to Pampaneira.  It was beautiful and freezing and interesting, as our guides shared information about the natural habitat there and the history of the area.

The trip, after my weekend in Barcelona, was a nice reminder of all the wonderful things there are to do here that are just a bus-ride away.