The Best Coffee Shops in London, and a Final Goodbye

Grayson Ruiz

Rather than leaving you and London on a sad note, I wanted to list some recommendations here for future reference or for any Study London students coming in Spring 2022. The list provided touches on coffee shops/study spots that I am so glad I found while here. Enjoy!

*Yes, when you come to London there will be a Caffè Nero and Pret A Manger (honorable mention for Starbucks too) on every corner. These are great options when you are on the go in the city and need service that is quick and reliable. However, there are so many coffee shops that are hidden gems in the city…so these are worth exploring!

CARHARTT COFFEE

King’s Cross

Unit 3, 2 Pancras Square

London N1C 4AG

This is a pop-up coffee shop right next to the infamous Carhartt brand’s store location. They serve hot and iced coffee (for my iced coffee lovers…a lot of coffee shops in the UK don’t make iced coffee) so I love that I can come here and have the option depending on the weather. What is most surprising about this spot though is that their coffee is the best I’ve had in London in terms of flavor. Really tasty and you must check out the Carhartt store next door!

SAINT ESPRESSO & KITCHEN

Kentish Town

296 Kentish Town Road

London NW5 2TG

This coffee shop is a chain around London and serves some of the best Avocado Toast along with hot/iced matcha, hot/iced coffee, and a tasty selection of pastries. This location is great for studying on weekdays, but it gets very packed on weekends—go early if you want a seat!

OZONE COFFEE ROASTERS

Shoreditch

11 Leonard Street

London EC2A 4AQ

Just a couple steps away from the Old Street tube station, Ozone is a large space serving coffee and bites. There are plenty of seats near the counter and the back of the warehouse space—a great place to hang out with friends or work by yourself.

POPHAMS BAKERY

Hackney

197 Richmond Road

London E8 3NJ

Although this one is a little off the beat and path since it is stationed in Hackney, this cozy bakery serves coffee, pastries, and delicious menu items that are prepared right next to you behind the counter. There is also plenty of outdoor seating with space heaters if it’s cold out. 

THE WREN COFFEE

St Nicholas Cole Abbey

114 Queen Victoria Street

London EC4V 4BJ

Located inside a church, The Wren is a quiet and quaint coffee shop with light bites. You’ll be surrounded by beautiful stained-glass windows and high ceilings, a change of tune from the usual hustle and bustle environment most coffee shops exude.

BURR & CO.

Holborn

1 Russell Square

London WC1B 5BE

Located inside the Kimpton Fitzroy Hotel (where a scene in Titanic was filmed) Burr & Co. is a coffee shop, café, and study spot all in one. You’ll be enamored with the glitzy décor and vast selection of pastries, café food, and drinks on the menu. It’s super close to the IES Abroad London building too!

SÖDERBERG

Soho

36 Berwick Street

London W1F 8RR

This Swedish coffee shop and bakery has a ground floor and lower level if you need space while studying. I highly recommend any of the eggs on sourdough toast options, my favorite is the one with crispy pancetta and wilted spinach with chipotle sauce. (Bonus tip- get there early to secure a seat on the lower level in one of the “pods” on the wall, they resemble a cave and have comfortable booth seating).

Thank you for following my journey while abroad in London. It’s been an amazing experience that I will never forget. If you are considering going abroad to London or any abroad location—I highly recommend getting out of your comfort zone and taking the leap. You’ll be so glad you did!