Trying Something New

Erica Spear

Dance has always been a part of my life in some way, shape, or form. When I was younger, I took ballet classes; in college, I learned Latin and Swing dancing, and took an adult ballet class. In Vienna, I knew that I would be able to attend one ball - which meant learning how to ballroom dance. So, I signed up for a ballroom class at a Tanzschule (dance school) through the Vienna Sports University.

The Vienna Sports University offers a variety of classes -- everything from cardio-total-body classes, to tai-chi, to dance. It's an excellent way to stay active, practice your German, and meet other Austrians!

My tanzkurs (dance class) is once a week on Monday nights. For someone who only started German this semester, I was a little overwhelmed at first. On top of learning new steps, the class is in a language that you are, for the most part, completely unfamiliar with! However, I'm incredibly glad that I stuck with it -- now I've learned more German, new dance steps, and leave my IES Abroad community for a bit on Mondays to mingle with locals.

So if you come to Vienna and are looking for ways to get involved with the community -- these USI courses are the perfect way to immerse yourself! Viel spaß!