La Vie Pastorale

Bailey Gilmore
Scenes such as this one seemed surreal; the quintessential pastoral scene. The fields and rolling hills of Gippsland. This area is known for dairy. The clouds were as rolling as the landscape, and they brought a brilliant rainstorm in the afternoon. Hannah says no one has lived here during her lifetime, but the house remains in a salvageable state. The house is filled with nails, boards, and the remnants of a life once lived. Hay bales that have long been forgotten. The coast here reminded me of Oregon, with headlands plunging into the sea and little coves—until I got down to the water… Each warm wave brought a rush of foam.

To the east of Melbourne lies an area called Gippsland, known in particular for its rolling hills and farming communities. It is also the place my wonderful roommate, Hannah, calls home, and she took me to visit—a two-hour drive and a total about-face in terms of landscape. If there is anywhere to fully escape from the city, this is it.

Hannah assured me that the sea of hills we passed were usually a vibrant green, that the drought in the area had turned them a less-becoming brown. But to me, the ubiquitous straw-colored fields played into my sense that I had arrived at the archetypal bucolic scene of stock photos and oil paintings. When she led me up a windswept hill behind her home to an abandoned farmhouse, complete with creaky doors and a view that stretched to the distant ocean, I knew I had landed in either a classic novel or a 1980s coming-of-age film.

Hannah took me to her favorite beach, only half an hour away, where verdant cliffs fall down to reaching waves. It was chilly and cloudy, with persistent wind, and I once again felt transported—this time to Oregon. When we reached the beach I realized how mistaken I was, however. The sand, thick and rich, was large grained and a uniform beige. But the true shock was the water. It was warm. Bath warm, pleasant warm, far warmer than the air. Plunge-into warm. Which is, of course, what I did.

Thank you, Hannah. I’ll be back.