My First Month Studying Abroad in Spain

This video features just a few short clips of the many moments I’ve had in my first month in Spain. My first month in Spain was getting lost in the dusk-lit, winding streets of the Albayzin, figuring out the layout of the local Mercadona supermarket, and memorizing the window fronts of every store I pass by on the way to class. It was trying sweet tea and sweeter pastries in teterías, figuring out where the vegetarian tapas bars were in Granada, and learning how to make Tortilla de Patatas. This first month was hiking in the Alpujarra Mountains, watching a Flamenco show in Sevilla, having a picnic lunch while admiring the views of Ronda, and visiting the beautiful Mesquita-Catedral de Córdoba. Without its frustrations, this first month also included hours spent trying to book flights to other parts of Europe, getting over a fever, and fumbling over words as I tried to speak in Spanish during my classes. It was learning how to make the most of Google maps, Google translate, Spanish Dictionary, and Whatsapp, growing accustomed to my homestay mother’s Andalucían Spanish, and understanding the meaning of the phrase no pasa nada. Yet, in this month, I started my classes, enrolled in a gym, joined a local church, became a regular at a local café, took overnight trips, and always managed to find my way back home again. In short, this month was so much more than I could explain in words... so, I decided to make a video about it.