Food Photo Blog: My Top Ten!

Headshot of Sophia Barton.
Sophia Barton

One of my favorite aspects of the semester was all the food I got to eat! It was fun to be able to find my favorite places and types of food. My favorite was definitely the baguette sandwich that I ate each day, but I had friends that would eat Kebab any chance they got! My favorite food destination was Rome. I consider pasta to be one of my core food groups, so it was safe to say that I was in heaven. While I missed American food, I loved getting to explore an entirely different culture of eating, and it was interesting to adjust to the French customs of dining. For example, American culture is based heavily around snacking, and this is definitely where I get most of my meals in. However, in France, they get most of their eating in during meal times, and they don’t really snack throughout the day like we do. It was definitely an adjustment for me!

One of my favorite cultural moments of the semester was getting to show my host family some of my favorite American foods. I had to chance to show them Kraft macaroni and cheese, which is a staple for me. They were shocked at the idea of cheese in powder form, which I’m sure is a crime in the French Gastronomy world. They were good sports though, and tried it for dinner with me one night. They said that they liked it, but I’m skeptical that they might have just been protecting my feelings.  My host dad couldn’t get over the nutrition facts, something that my host sister and I agreed that we like to ignore.

Food is such an important part of culture all around the world, and my favorite aspect to explore as a self-proclaimed foodie. I highlighted some of my favorites in the gallery!