The Night Before

Noa Solomon
The flight to Spain

Sitting here on my couch in my apartment in Manhattan, New York the night before my trip to beloved Barcelona, I am forced to contemplate all that I have faced to get to this point, and all that lies ahead. 

My fears:

To start things off, I didn't even think I would be traveling abroad. This is not because I didn’t want to, but because of factors outside of my control led me to believe I would never be able to fulfill my dream of a lifetime: going abroad. After many problems trying to obtain a passport and a visa, I felt like I had exhausted all my options. I felt as if the universe was telling me I shouldn't be attending this trip abroad and that I should stay complacent in Madison, Wisconsin (where I attend school), which was the last thing I wanted to do. I relentlessly worked with the staff members at IES Abroad, who worked every angle to ensure that I would make it on that plane come January 7th. I received the email exactly two weeks prior to my departure that I was 100% in and it finally felt real. My dreams were coming true.

My thoughts:

Now I can confidently say I'm ready to go. I've had my final dinner (my favorite Chinese place in New York), I've hugged my cat about a million times, I've had my last bowl of Haagen-Daz peppermint bark ice cream (because I'm unsure if they have it in Barcelona or not), and I’ve FINALLY figured out what phone plan I will be using. My bags are packed, my papers are all accounted for and I've bid my adieus.

It's finally sinking in. I know that this is what I am meant to be doing.

My hopes: 

I am bursting with excitement thinking about all that awaits me when I finally touch down in Barcelona. After reaching out to a couple friends that have already taken on the daunting task of "being an adult" in another country, I am nothing but eager to step on that plane tomorrow. The FOMO that tingles through my body with every snapchat I open from my buddies already in Barcelona, I am reassured that this trip is for me. This feeling of belonging is yet another reminder that this is what I am meant to be doing.

I'm beyond excited to try the food, explore the environment, start classes, get settled into my apartment and meet new people! 

Although I have no idea what I am about to endure, I cant help but feel excited. I am no longer deterred by my nerves but I am embracing them.

That's it for now, I'll see you in Spain!

Xo

Noa 

Noa Solomon

<p>Noa Solomon is an avid sports enthusiast, foodie and animal lover. She studies at the University of Wisconsin as a Journalism major where she excersises her passion for writing, as well as double minoring in sports communication and special education. She was born and raised a city girl, coming from the big apple itself, Manhattan, New York. She studied at the Professional Performing Arts School in Times Square as a drama major for 7 years and continues to participate in acting as much as she can. She was just featured in the 90s teen comedy film Generation Wrecks as Brittney Pratt this past September.</p>

University of Wisconsin - Madison
New York CIty, NY