A New Place

Nana Akua Mensah

In a few hours I will be leaving home for the Kotoka International Airport, Accra, Ghana. As I have twice before, I will be hopping on a plane and flying off to some place far away from my family and childhood friends for school. Previously, the destination was the US, this time, it's Milan, Italy. 

As I type this, there are so many feelings and thoughts running through my head that it's difficult to pin them down and describe them. I know I'm nervous, and terrified in a good way, and a part of me is excited to be living in a city I have only ever day dreamed about. But, I am also sad to be leaving home- this time, both my home in Accra, and my home at school in the US, and the people who have made it a space where I can be comfortable.

The very first time I left home to live in a different place, I gave no thought to things like cultural differences, being open to new people and experiences, and just the 'living' part of going abroad generally. In my mind, I was going to school and that was that. And when I did think about questions like how I would interact with all the new people I was going to meet, I would be too scared to confront them and would push them to the back of my mind.

In my time as an international student, I have quickly learned that the most challenging things about college are often outside of the reach of your grades- questions are raised about your beliefs, about your prejudices, about your personality in ways that you often cannot be prepared for, but can be open to. Thankfully, I have stopped running away from that truth, and have been teaching myself to embrace it. I'm learning to welcome different points of view, and different landscapes- and enjoy them thoroughly for the growth that they afford me. I am not the same person I was before I went to the US, and I'm excited to meet the person I will be after a semester in Italy. It is definitely scary, and I will be making a conscious effort not to run and hide.

It's going to be an exciting next few months, and I can't wait for it to start.