¿Vas a Comer Muchos Chiles?

Monica Melendez

Last sibling photo with my brother before I leave.

My sissy seeing me off at the airport.

I have known I am studying abroad for several months now, but it has only now begun to feel real sitting in this airport counting down the hours to this five hour layover. Aside from college visit trips which lasted three days tops, I have never really traveled alone, much less for such a long period of time and so far away from home.  The few trips I have taken alone, I have always been one to over-pack—needless to say packing 5 months worth of clothes for two seasons was no easy task.  Surprisingly, I managed to fit everything in two suitcases, a carry-on, and a backpack with about 10 pounds to spare. I feel the best word to describe my current mood is sappy. Sad because I am leaving behind family, friends, and the comfort of my home. Happy because I know it is because of God’s blessings that I have been given this amazing opportunity. Last night when I was saying my final goodbyes to my family, my 3-year old nephew, Aiden, who associates Chile with the spicy pepper, looks at me and says, “¿Moni, vas a comer muchos chiles?” to which I tearfully responded, “Si, muchos muchos chiles.” While the thought of being in a foreign country thousands of miles away from home scares me, there are also lots of things I am looking forward to. Among the top things on my list are: total Spanish immersion, building a sense of direction (my siblings often call me “book smart and not street smart” because among many reasons, I have a horrible sense of direction), studying Chile’s political history from a Chilean perspective, having the opportunity to take classes at the local university, interning in the city, and witnessing current social and political issues in Chile that have their origins in the country’s authoritarian past. While I am not particularly looking forward to the 40 degree difference between Houston and Santiago (it is currently winter in Chile), I am excited to meet new people, try new things, and explore Chilean history and culture, meet my host parents and my little Chilean brother, and have an overall amazing time during my semester in Santiago once I survive this 10 hour flight. I miss you all already. Keep me in your prayers.

(Note to self: Drink an entire bottle of Nyquil before taking another ten hour flight.)

Update:

Thank God for the carritos outside baggage claim. Otherwise, carrying all my luggage would have been a struggle.

My room for the next 5 months. I cannot wait to get the bed warmer set up.

The customs line in Santiago was unbearably long. Luckily, I did not have to wait that long because an immigration officer opened up another line beginning with us, so we avoided a huge line. One of the men at security saw that I was struggling placing all my luggage in one of the machines and asked me if I was staying for an entire year.  I smiled and told him I wanted to make sure I had everything I need. The students from Amigos Chilenos met us at the airport and took us to our homestays where I spend the remainder of the day meeting my family, getting to know the area, and resting.  So far, everything seems to be within walking distance including the Chilean Walmart which is called Líder. Aside from the freezing cold, I think I am going to love it here. Patty and Alvaro have been very sweet to me, and Diego, their son, has already invited me to play Wii with him. Este semestre en Santiago será una experiencia bien memorable.