12 Days of Fez – Video

Meghan Johns

After only a short day in Rabat, the rest of my first two weeks in Morocco were spent in the city of Fez. Here is a video of my time spent there, including everyday walks, the best sights, some day trips, and some great people!

Fun facts:
Yes, our bus driver and Darija professor loved Wrecking Ball.
The place with all the colored buckets of liquid on the ground is the tannery- it smells like nothing you’ve ever wanted to smell before. We held mint leaves to our nose the whole time.
The boy on the bike was one of my host brothers. He had to lead us through the medina for the first couple of times before we knew it on our own.
The song that’s playing is called “Babylone” by Zina. It’s a popular song that is often played on the radio here.
The scene where we are all dressed up is a henna party that we attended at one of the host family’s homes.
Volubilis is a place where there are still ancient Roman ruins in Morocco! Here, I was very surprised that you could touch (and WALK) on anything. I imagine this would be very different if this site existed in the U.S.