The Tourist Becomes the Tour Guide

10 Apr 2018

Over the past few weeks I had the pleasure of hosting two guests as they visited Amsterdam for the very first time. Before my guests arrived in Amsterdam, I couldn't help but feel extremely nervous about my ability to show them all of the incredible aspects of Amsterdam I have grown so attached to and love so very much. I felt as if the fate of their visits and their lasting impressions of Amsterdam were entirely on my shoulders. I did not want to come off as a tourist in the city I've been living in for the past two months and just show them a weekend's worth of tourist traps. With this in mind, I decided to take my guests to all the places I love and know, all the places I've been recommended, and all the places they had expressed interest in. As it turns out, showing my friends a good time in Amsterdam was that simple. While I was putting a lot of pressure on myself to make sure my guests had a great time, I didn't realize how much I had already learned about Amsterdam in my two months living here and how equipped I actually was to be their tour guide. I was successful in making my guest love my city, but their time here and the questions they asked me did teach me that I still have much more to learn about Amsterdam. I am excited to gain even more awareness of my home in Amsterdam and be able to share this knowledge with any guests I may have in the next few months. 

Amsterdam_Wibaustraat_Metro_GraceKeller.JPG

Amsterdam_Zuid_MetroRide_GraceKeller.jpg

Amsterdam_AmsterdamCentraalStation_Escalator_GraceKeller.jpg

Amsterdam_Rotterdam_ThriftStore_GraceKeller.jpg

Amsterdam_Vondelpark_Balcony_GraceKeller.jpg

Amsterdam_RLD_DaytimeCanal_GraceKeller.jpg

Amsterdam_RLD_TheDistrictDuringTheDay_GraceKeller.jpg

Amsterdam_AmsterdamChinatown_BuddhistTemple_GraceKeller.jpg

Amsterdam_AmsterdamCenter_RoyalPalace_GraceKeller.jpg

Amsterdam_AmsterdamCenter_FloatingBuildings_GraceKeller.jpg

Amsterdam_Center_CanalCruiseBoats_GraceKeller.jpg

Amsterdam_AmsterdamCentraalStation_FerryRide_GraceKeller.jpg

Amsterdam_A'damLookout_FoggySunset_GraceKeller.jpg

Amsterdam_A'DAMTower_FerryandWatter_GraceKeller.jpg

Amsterdam_A'damLookout_WaterandFlags_GraceKeller.jpg

Amsterdam_A'DAMLookout_CityLights_GraceKeller.jpg

Amsterdam_A'damLookout_AlloftheLights_GraceKeller.jpg

Amsterdam_A'DAMLookout_Swing_GraceKeller.jpg

Amsterdam_RLD_NightCruise_GraceKeller.jpg