Day Trippin' with the IES Abroad Squad!

Maddie Norman

It was a quick turn around after the near 24-hour flight, but an awesome first day in Australia. The IES Abroad squad hit the road for a trip to Featherdale Wildlife Park to check out some of the native animals like the kangaroo, wallaby, koala bear, croc, dingo, and much much more. After the park we headed further up the road to hike the Blue Mountains. We descended through the mountains and saw beautiful waterfalls, rock structures, and a skyline full of picturesque scenery. The hike built up our appetite, so of course what better to do than to have a barbie?! I was personally introduced to halloumi cheese and kangaroo for the first time, two foodie fan favorites among Australians. On our way back to Sydney, we made a quick stop to check out the Three Sisters, an unusual rock formation of New South Wales. The video and pictures really didn’t do this view justice! Overall, it was a fabulous first day in Australia and a great way to get to know everyone in the IES Abroad program. It certainly gave me a taste of the wonders of the country down under, and I’m excited to explore for more in my time here abroad!