16 Days in Tibet

Jason Klanderman

In about an hour and a half I leave for Tibet!

We’re taking a train from Beijing to Lhasa, travelling by the famous Qinghai-Tibetan railway. This will take us about 48 hours total.

I’m going on a ‘mobile learning’ course. This means that whilst I’m travelling I’ll be taking a class. We will learn things on site, as we move from place to place. The course I’m currently taking is Ethnicities in China. The focus is on ethnic minorities in China, with a special focus on Tibet. We’ll be in Tibet for 16 days.

I don’t think I’ve ever looked forward to a trip this much.
Tibet, in my mind, is still this mysterious land that I know next to nothing about.
The pictures I’ve seen from the Sera Monastery, Namtso Lake, and the Potala Palace all look surreal in their beauty and majesty.

I’ve heard from students that have travelled before that Tibet is one of the least accessible countries in the world. The altitude and the strict regulations set by the Chinese government make the region difficult to visit. That makes this trip all the more exciting since I am getting the chance to see this area first hand, and under the guidance of expert local guides.

I can’t wait to experience not only the sites, but also Tibetan life, we’ll spend a few days camping as well as a few days with a Tibetan household. These will be great opportunities to experience both the Nomadic lifestyle as well as the more contemporary Tibetan lifestyle.

Food wise, I can’t wait to try all the different ways of preparing Yak meat, as well as the (in)famous Yak butter tea!
Due to lack of internet infrastructure, finding internet in Tibet might be a challenge, but I really look forward to trying everything and reporting back.