Wait...This is Actually Happening?

Hannah Abel

Bonjour, Ciao, Hola…or just Hello!  My name is Hannah Abel, and welcome to my Summer 2015 Study Abroad blog.  I am a rising senior at the University of Miami in sunny Coral Gables, Florida majoring in Human and Social Development with minors in Education and Psychology and a dream of becoming a speech pathologist.  A far cry from the art and museum studies courses I will be taking in Paris, Rome and Madrid these next seven weeks but I am beyond excited to be spending my summer living and learning in three of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world.

There is not much time until I depart for Paris, and everybody keeps asking me what I am most looking forward to, which is hard because I do not have a definitive answer just yet.  While I am excited to celebrate my twenty-first birthday and take fun tourist-y pictures, I think if anything I am most excited to just get started.  I have never been to Paris or Rome before, and I think it will be fun to return to Madrid, a city that I got to visit during my senior year of high school as a two-week exchange student.  I have had several friends study abroad in the past year and they keep telling me about their experiences and places I should visit, but I know that nothing will compare to arriving and seeing each of these beautiful cities firsthand.  I have been planning and thinking about this trip for five months now and cannot believe how close it is.

I am eager to expand my horizons through this study abroad experience as I cross the milestone off my college bucket list.  I have become an avid traveler over the last few years, visiting places such as the Dominican Republic, Japan, and South Africa, but I cannot help but smile as I think about what it will be like living in a foreign country…or three for that matter.  I am also looking forward to meeting the other participants in the program.  It will be different not traveling with family or anybody who I already know, but together we will embark on the unknown through a brand new program exploring the best that Europe has to offer.  I hope that you enjoy following me as I blog and share photos from this one-of-a-kind European adventure.