The Spanish Merienda

Haley Stewart

In Spain, it’s common to eat five times a day.  Spaniards begin the day with a light desayuno, normally take a segundo desayuno mid-morning, and eat la comida, the biggest meal of the day, around 2 or 3.  Around 5 or 6, before la cena which is at 9 or 10 at night, they take a merienda.  The merienda is a light meal that can be either savory or sweet.  Usually it’s something like a café and tostada (toast with tomato and olive oil if it’s a traditional tostada) or a crepe.

During the week I don’t have time to merendar (yes, it’s a verb), but Fridays thru Sundays I take a merienda with students from my Colegio Mayor.  We usually go to a tetería (tea shop), cafetería or crepería in the city.  It’s one of my favorite things to do here.

At merienda time, everyone is out in the streets– little children, teenagers, adults and grandparents alike.  They’re out to merendar like we are or to simply pasear (walk around).  For a few hours, the day’s activity slows.  Whether they’re lingering over food or ambling hand and hand in the slant of the late afternoon sun, Spaniards reserve these hours for enjoying the company of friends and family.