South African Butterflies

Emily Glasscock

The butterflies have officially started! In just a few minutes I will begin my 30+ hours of travel to Cape Town.  I have done quite a bit of traveling in my nineteen years, but never to anywhere as far away as South Africa, and certainly not by myself! Needless to say, I am quite nervous!

Up until this point my summer has been quite ordinary. Nothing too exciting—a family trip to Hilton Head, Charleston, and Savannah, a little bit of painting, and a lot of working, with every spare second spent tutoring, hanging out with, and loving on an entertaining group of nine and ten year old girls (who I lovingly drag to church on sundays)! If you’re not getting the picture, I like to keep myself busy! Consequently, I have not allowed myself much time to contemplate the enormity of the trip I am about to embark on… Uh oh!!

Though I am going into an absolute unknown, I am very excited! I have read every blog, travel advisory, and news article (well… maybe not) on living in Cape Town. (I know way too many weird facts about South Africa now.) I also have the invaluable blessing of having a father and step-mother who have first-hand experience in South Africa! (An interesting story itself… In the same phone call that I made to ask about studying in Cape Town, they told me they were going!)

So, as I make my final preparations for the next seven weeks the anticipation is amassing. I can’t imagine what the next 25 in-flight hours will do to me! I might not be functional by the time I arrive in South Africa if these butterflies keep building!