Molweni From Kapstadt

Emily Glasscock

Though I never would have imagined that the rest of our trip could live up to the precedent that the first week set, we were able to find even more beautiful scenery, and charming entertainment this week. Our group made trips to the District 6 Museum, the Groote Schuur Hospital, and the Cape Peninsula, in addition to several other small endeavors. We felt very blessed to hear a first-hand account of the things that happened to the residents of District 6 in the late twentieth century, and certainly humbled to later sit in the very operation room that the first heart transplant was done in. We were able to soak in invaluable history and knowledge in the two museums. In our exploration of the Cape Peninsula we were able to stop at some small markets, beautiful overlooks, a charismatic penguin colony, and of course Cape Point and the Cape of Good Hope. The cape was one of the most spectacular things that I have ever seen, and I have become thoroughly convinced that Cape Town (and it’s surrounding landscapes) are among the most beautiful in the world. I could go on and on about the experiences that we had in our Cape Peninsula tour. It was quite spectacular.

We explored The Old Biscuit Mill Market on Saturday. Though I did not know anything about Old Biscuit before I arrived in South Africa it may be one of my favorite things that we have done thus far (I would definitely recommend that all who find themselves in Kapstadt on a Saturday morning go to the market in Woodstock). There was everything, from cheese to olives to pastries and other delightful treats. I was absolutely overwhelmed by the food options, and had to take several trips around the tents before I chose a lemon and cinnamon crepe and a warm cup of coffee (though I later indulged in more). The market offers much more than food though. There is a wide assortment of unique artwork and clothing offered in the surrounding boutiques. It took a LOT of effort to restrain from buying everything that I saw. (We have unanimously decided to return every Saturday morning for treats.)

Sunday evening, we conquered Lion’s Head for the Super Moon. (The closest that the moon will be to South Africa all year.) We made it up to the top just as the sun was setting, sat around for a few minutes, and then were able to see the moon rise just above Devil’s Peak on the horizon. It was absolutely beautiful. Though it became quite treacherous hiking down in the dark with very few lights, it was well worth the effort.

The rest of this week has been spent volunteering in local hospitals around the Cape Town area. I have been placed in the Red Cross Children’s hospital, while others have been placed in clinics in Gugulethu and Retreat. We have all thoroughly enjoyed our time in the hospitals and have gained invaluable insight into the way that the South African healthcare system functions, as well as a lot of experience and exposure to new and sometimes uncomfortable situations. I would not trade the experience that I have gained in the past three days for anything, and I can hardly wait to see what we learn and are exposed to in the coming weeks, as we spend more time exploring South African healthcare.

(Oh and I find my title “Molweni from Kapstadt” to be quite clever. It mixes Xhosa, English, and Afrikans- the three most popular languages spoken in Cape Town. You better appreciate it.)

Just a few of the shots taken in the past week from Groote Schuur, Camps Bay, Simon’s Town, the Cape of Good Hope, Old Biscuit Mill, Kirstenbosch Botannical Gardens, and Lion’s Head: