Sunday Morning at IJ-Hallen

Charlotte Steinberg
The view from inside the warehouse.

Love second-hand, vintage, thrift, and flea-finds? For one weekend a month, the biggest flea market in Europe opens its doors to thousands of visitors in Amsterdam-Noord. IJ-Hallen is made up of two industrial warehouses that house over 750 vendors selling everything from clothing to antiques to vintage toys. Even just getting to the market is an adventure: a 10-minute ferry ride from Centraal Station to the other side of the river offers stunning views of the water and the city. After hours (yes, hours!) of exploring the stalls, visitors can get a taste of Amsterdam's tastiest treats at the outdoor food vendors serving french fries and poffertjes, mini Dutch pancakes! Though the market is open from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on one Saturday and Sunday per month, shoppers may find that arriving early on Saturdays may offer the best items, and waiting until Sunday afternoon to get the best prices, as merchants will be trying to get rid of their stock. It’s also important to note that there is an entrance fee: 5 euro for adults and 2 euro for children 11 and under. If you go, bring lots of cash and coins: you’ll never know what treasures you’ll find!