Day Trip to Rotterdam

Charlotte Steinberg

We IES Abroad Amsterdam students got to pick between two popular cities in the Netherlands, Utrecht and Rotterdam, for a day trip this weekend. About 40 students and I enjoyed the beautiful weather in Rotterdam, Netherlands for our day trip. Students first got to experience the city from above at Euromast, an observation tower that offers stunning views from 185 meters in the sky! Some of us even ventured to the top of the spike and experienced a rotating tour with information about the city. We then enjoyed a family-style Mediterranean lunch at Rotterdam-famous Bazar. After a filling and delicious meal, we were all released to explore the city for the afternoon. Afternoon activities included seeing museums like the Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen and the famous arch-shaped Markthal market. At Boijmans Van Beuningen, we visited exhibits from artists like Yayoi Kusama (the room of mirrors) and Pipilotti Rist (the suspended net with filmed projections). Afterward, we walked to the Markthal indoor market, which we learned is even referred to as "the Dutch Sistine Chapel" for its remarkable architecture and mural on the ceiling. We wrapped up our day with a satisfying dinner at Baek, and a short bus ride back to Amsterdam.