It’s Beginning to Look a lot like Christmas…

Taylor Baciocco

I certainly can’t believe my first semester is almost over, but the appearance of Christmas lights throughout Siena, not to mention all the Christmas trees, are practically shouting that Christmas is just around the corner and, with it, my departure.

I’ve been lucky. In the recent few weeks, I’ve had a million opportunities to take advantage of, and I am, it seems, ending this semester very busily and in a very fun way.

I went to see the Moscow Ballet’s production of The Nutcracker. It was my very first live Nutcracker and, after a little bit of a mix-up about our tickets, Helen and I sat so close to the stage, I could lean on it during the performance.

I wasn’t exaggerating.

We walked around for a bit afterwards, looking at the beautiful lights strung across the streets. Siena is decorated very differently than I’m used to in the States, but quite beautifully. It’s just a different kind of beautiful that reminds you of what you’re missing at home, even as you’re grateful for what’s in front of you.

If that makes any sense at all.

A few days later, I found myself going to a concert at the Academia Musicale Chigiana. A fourteen-year-old girl was playing a Strativarius cello and the music was just incredible. It was a very small theater, and I could see the half-embarassed expression on her face after she earned round after round of applause.

We got all fancied up for it too.

It’s been insane here recently. It feels like all of these opportunities are presenting themselves amidst, of course, final papers and final exams. But isn’t that how life always works?

I am in no way ready to leave this place, even as I think about the plans I’ve made at home. I’m lucky though. I don’t think I’ve mentioned this before, but I will be here next semester. This place, I get to stay here for another four months and that’s just one of those incredible things in my life that I can’t quite comprehend.

I mean, just look at it here. I took this photo. How is that possible??

More to come soon, but, as I’ve mentioned, I’ve got some finals to study for! Much as abroad feels a bit like a vacation, there is very real work going on between the incredible experiences, sights, and friends I’ve found here.