Picnicking Between the Runways

Marta Misiulaityte

This week, I wanted to write about a park that’s quickly becoming one of my favorite places in Berlin.

I live in Schöneberg, which is a pretty diverse neighborhood south west of central Berlin (Mitte). While it isn’t exactly one of the trendy “it” districts, it’s a lively place with lots of thriving shops, parks, and bars frequented by locals. People of varying backgrounds reside here, and the many Indian restaurants, Turkish fast food places, and Asian supermarkets definitely give this neighborhood an exciting multicultural vibe.

Although I love living in Schöneberg, my favorite place in Berlin is 10 minutes east of this district, in Tempelhof. If you look at a map of the city, one’s eye is immediately drawn to the vast, seemingly empty space just 5 kilometers south of the Brandenburg gate. This is the site of the former iconic airport Tempelhof, first built in 1926 and then expanded by the Nazis during the preparations for war. It became world famous during the Berlin airlift in 1948/49 when the Allies were flying in millions of tonnes of food and supplies to Tempelhof every day to provide for West Berliners. It was closed in 2008 in anticipation of the opening of Berlin’s new airport south of the city.

Two years later, it was turned into a park.

It’s the most unusual, exciting kind of park I’ve ever seen. It consists of one large field dissect by former runways. On warm days, it turns into one big open-air fitness center, with people jogging, biking, kiting, skateboarding, rollerblading, and tossing the frisbee everywhere you look. The park also has a corner designated for grilling, and an area where a community garden is being developed. As if that weren’t impressive enough, a protected habitat of rare birds sits right in the middle of the field.

Today when I biked to Tempelhof for a picnic, I looked around at the Berliners around me and thought, “you have no idea how lucky you are.” But then I remembered – I have no idea how lucky I am either! I am so thankful for the opportunity to be here and to enjoy such amazing places like Tempelhof, even if only for a semester.

Here are a couple photos I took last week: