Internship, Part II

Marta Misiulaityte

In my previous blog post, I wrote about the project that I worked on for the first three weeks of my internship at the Jewish Museum Berlin. When I completed the project, the semester also came to an end, and I switched to interning full-time.

Although I had enjoyed working in the visitor research department, I was looking forward to trying out something new. I joined the online media department, where I got a chance to learn how to use the CMS that they use for their website. I also really enjoyed proofreading English texts on their website because it made me so aware – as has happened so many times over the course of the semester – of how our native language affects the way we express ourselves in a foreign language. Sometimes I really couldn’t explain to my supervisor why a certain sentence was awkward in English – it could be grammatically correct, and one could easily understand what it meant, and yet, the melody, the “flow” just wouldn’t be right. I realized that translation was really more of an art than a hard science.  It was a welcome exercise in creativity for me. :)

After a week in the media department, I was offered the opportunity to become familiarized with the education division of the museum. There I got a chance to join as many guided tours and workshops as I wanted to get a feel for the museum (I still haven’t properly seen the full collection! It is monstrous!) and its visitors. I worked on a few small projects, such as preparing for the conference of US, Israeli and East European teachers at the museum on Friday, or researching for the new Garden of Diaspora project. Another week very well spent.

Next week, it’s back to the media department. This internship has been an invaluable experience not only because I acquired so many new skills, but also because it allowed me to experience Berlin and Germany from a completely different angle. Thank you, IES and especially Liane!