All I Wanna Do Is…Bicycle, Bicycle, Bicycle!

Marta Misiulaityte

April 24, 2013 will go down in history as the day one crazy Lithuanian was given a bike in Berlin.
Reporting a month later, and in all seriousness, I do have to say that beginning to bike around Berlin did have a big effect on my life here and how I see the city. As well as facilitating my transformation from a clueless tourist into an expert map reader, it has instilled an even bigger sense of belonging and comfort here.

Ever since the first bike tour of my neighborhood, I have become addicted to this mode of transportation. I believe that I raved about how excellent public transportation is in my previous blog posts, and I still think that is the case – but discovering Berlin by bike has become a real treat and something that I look forward to doing every day. Not only is it healthy for students like me who otherwise lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle, it is also a fantastic way to familiarize oneself with this metropolis.

But, in fact, I do not see Berlin as a metropolis anymore. While I am still fully convinced that this city does truly have everything a living soul could possibly wish for (perhaps except for a few more 80-degree-days), at the same time its size doesn’t seem overwhelming anymore, and even biking from the southwestern district Schöneberg where I live to Humboldt University or IES seems like an easy feat (and, with only a 30 min bike ride, it indeed is).

Next weekend, I am participating in the annual “cycling festival,” during which cyclists will have opportunities to navigate all over Berlin and Brandenburg on car-free streets and even the autobahn! The event aims to raise awareness that although Berlin is a great city for biking, there are still ways in which it could be more cyclist-friendly, namely in terms of the general road etiquette and the number of bike lanes. I can’t wait for this event. I just hope it won’t rain – especially given that IES is also hosting a picnic at a park near the institute next weekend.

Now, off to watch the Champions League final game between Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich!