Las Cataracas de Iguazú

Margot Kempczynski

The excursion to las Cataracas de Iguazú is one of those trips that everybody raves about, but you can never really understand why until you go for yourself. It definitely sounds like an exciting time when you hear about it–walking through a beautifully preserved national park of Argentina admiring one of the New Seven Wonders of the World–who wouldn’t be intrigued by that? But for me I didn’t think too much of it; I even debated if I should spend the time and money going so far for just a weekend. Pretty much a 17-hour bus ride for about a day and a half in Puerto Iguazú. (But hey, you get a bed and they serve you meals on the bus.) Naturally I was a little uncertain, but eventually made the plans with some friends to visit these wildly talked-about waterfalls.
Needless to say (or else I wouldn’t be making this post), I was absolutely blown away by Iguazú. Though I’ll try my best, any words or pictures really don’t do these falls justice. I had never seen such an incredibly impressive sight. I actually felt like I was in some magical fairy land that wasn’t real life, as weird and kind of stupid as that sounds. But I’m serious. We also got lucky with exceptional weather that weekend–90 degrees and sunny!

We took a boat ride on this river and got practically right under parts of the waterfalls, also got soaking wet with Igauzú water

These little “caotis” were cute but very sneaky and loved to creep up to you to steal your food–supposedly they bite but we were lucky that day and avoided any physical confrontation

You can sort of start to recognize the immensity of the waterfalls compared to the people, though this wasn’t even at Devil’s Throat where the biggest ones are

Some fun wildlife that we saw

Almost always a rainbow in sight