First Glimpse

Kristi Ch

Here are a couple shots from the first week here in Ecuador. Here, the custom is to eat large breakfasts and lunch, and either nothing or just a snack of bread/sandwiches and coffee for dinner. The light and colors at this lunch were just too pretty and picturesque to resist breaking out my camera and taking these couple shots. Pictured are tomate de arbole (tree tomato) juice, avocado salad, rice, and steak. The Ecuadorean diet is pretty heavy on carbohydrates and meats, but somehow, maybe all the walking in high altitude, I am still always hungry…

potpourri bowl

A day at the park–a search for llamas turned into a couple hour hike, but it was well worth it to get away from the city for a bit. Parque Metropolitano is one of the largest metropolitan parks in South America–much larger than Central Park in NYC, and I was surprised to find myself in thick forest, big grassy fields, and ridges overlooking the scenic Cumbaya valley on the other side of Quito

A little llama lovin’ at Parque Metropolitano

students smiling in front of a mountain

Some of the girls from my IES program at Parque Metropolitano. Behind, the view of Cumbaya valley