A weekend in Whitsundays

Another long weekend meant another opportunity for a weekend excursion to a far away land...or in general just another opportunity to explore the great land that is Australia.  Last weekend, I traveled up to Proserpine, a nice tropical getaway to say the least.  The town is home to the infamous Whitsunday islands, specifically Whitehaven beach.  Whitehaven beach consists of some of the whitest sand in the world, and getting the opportunity to visit was definitely a once in a lifetime experience.

As I previously mentioned in another post, Australia's beaches are literally amongst the best beaches in the whole world.  You can even find Whitehaven beach on most lists of "the world's 10 most incredible beaches".  Queensland was recently (earlier in the year) devasted by Cyclone Debbie, leaving the once tourist hotspot to be left in turmoil.  The town itself has made revolutionary progress on its way back to normality, but we were still apprehensive about making the excursion out to the beach since it had so recently been destroyed by the natural disaster.  Nevertheless, we knew we had to go see the priceless beach...and I am so glad that I did.

The beach was outstanding, and it was hard to even see the remainders of the Cyclone's effects on the beautiful beach.  The sand was incredible, and the views of the water and the rest of the island was one of the most spectacular things I've ever seen.  Box jellyfish are a huge concern in the area even though they were out of season, so the tour we were on gave us "stinger suits" to prevent getting stung by the dangerous sea creatures.  Although they looked absolutely hilarious, we weren't taking any chances. 

Besides the beach, the town was absolutely adorable.  It looked like a mixture of California and Hawaii, but of course we were still in Australia.  There was a variety of beach shops and little ice cream places, and definitely a lot of bars and restaraunts to choose from.  We stayed in an airbnb that was just up the road, close enough to walk to the grocery store and main strip when we wanted to.  The town also had a really nice market to buy local souveniers.  Above anything, the weather was what I appreciated the most.  Coming from the mildly cold Sydney winter, it was such a relief to get to spend some much needed days in the sun.  

Overall, whitsundays is definietly a trip that I would recommend taking.  It was tropical, relaxing, and definietly gave the whole Australian experience.  The memories that I gained from my weekend in whitsundays will surely stick with me for a very long time.