Coming Home

Cailey Oehler

I’m back in the states now (though just briefly before I head off to Chile for my next adventure) and talking to my family and friends about my experience has led me to some reflections on this past semester.

The end of my time in Salamanca was a whirlwind of exams, packing, and goodbyes, and I think it was better to stay busy until the end this way. In fact, one of the things I’ve noticed most looking back is that this semester was so busy! I’m glad I’ve had this blog to keep me reflecting on my experiences, and one of the things I’d most recommend to future study abroad students is that they find some way of keeping track of all they’re feeling and doing during this amazing time.

Studying abroad had its ups and downs, like the rest of life does, and overall it was just so exciting and challenging! I truly feel that I learned more this semester than in any other, both from my courses and from exploring Spain with new friends. I’m looking forward to going back to my university this fall and applying the new perspective I gained during my time away to my studies and to my relationships.

And while there’s no perfect study abroad program for anyone, I feel that IES Abroad Salamanca was a great fit for me as I had fantastic opportunities for language immersion and was able to integrate myself into life in the small but vibrant city and still have time to explore the rest of the country. I feel so grateful for the friends I made while I was studying with IES Abroad and for the academic and personal challenges I was faced with, while being supported both by the program and by my network of Spanish friends and family. Thanks for everything!